Chinese health authorities said on Monday that they had received reports of 49 confirmed new COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland on Sunday, of which 39 were local transmissions. No new deaths were reported.
Among the local infections, 36 were reported in Beijing and 34 out of the 36 new cases were either directly or indirectly linked to Xinfadi wholesale market, including 19 people who worked there.
Details of another two cases are still investigated, an official told a press briefing on Monday afternoon.
So far, at least eight districts in Beijing have reported confirmed cases. The city reported zero local transmissions for 56 days before June 11.
Over 8,000 staff members at Xinfadi wholesale market have been tested and moved to designated areas for medical observation, said officials.
People who live in the same community as a confirmed COVID-19 patient will be required to get nucleic acid tests.
And for the 90,000 or so residents who live in 21 communities near Xinfadi market in Fengtai District and Yuquandong market in Haidian District, closed-off management has also activated, meaning no one is allowed to enter or exit.
The official said around 200,000 people have been to Xinfadi market since May 30.
Related cases found in Hebei, Liaoning and Sichuan provinces
On Sunday, north China's Hebei Province also registered three domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases which local authorities confirmed were all related to Beijing's cases.
Baoding City in Hebei Province is now in "wartime emergency" mode, with prevention and control measures tightened, according to the local government.
Earlier on June 13, Northeast China's Liaoning Province also reported two new confirmed infections. Both of them were also close contacts of the confirmed cases in Beijing, the local health commission said.
Southwest China's Sichuan Province on Sunday reported a new suspected case of the novel coronavirus that is also linked to a case in Beijing.
12,973 people with travel history to Xinfadi over past 14 days tested;
On Monday, Beijing authorities held a press conference on the prevention and control of the coronavirus in the Chinese capital city.
After new COVID-19 cases were reported in the city and coronavirus was detected at the Xinfadi wholesale market in the southern Fengtai District, local authorities escalated control measures to curb the spread of coronavirus.
Beijing has conducted 76,499 COVID-19 tests on Sunday with 59 of them showing positive results, an official said at a regular press conference on Monday morning.
According to the official, Beijing has completed the collection of 41,510 samples for COVID-19 tests from 11 neighborhoods near Xinfadi wholesale market while 6,284 so far have shown negative results.
Officials sacked after COVID-19 cases reported in Beijing's Fengtai District
Zhou Yuqing, deputy head of Fengtai District, has been removed from the post for "failing" in his duty in COVID-19 prevention and control work, according to the report.
Wang Hua, the Party Secretary of Huaxiang Town in Fengtai District, and Zhang Yuelin, general manager of the Xinfadi Agricultural Products Wholesale Market Company, were also removed from their posts.
Vice premier urges decisive measures as Beijing cluster grows
On Sunday, Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan called for resolute and decisive measures in Beijing to avoid further spread of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Containing the epidemic at the source is essential, Sun said, urging comprehensive moves to trace the origin of the virus.
Meanwhile, she supported Beijing's efforts to increase its nucleic acid testing capacity, so as to cover all key areas and communities.
Without having full knowledge of the mutation of the virus, Sun underlined the arduous tasks for regular epidemic prevention and control, demanding continuous measures to guard against imported cases and prevent a resurgence of the outbreak at home.