It’s almost time for the holidays, which means it’s almost time for you to bust out the holiday decorations. Here are a few things to check for as you get your decorations out of storage:Pests
Taking the decorations out of storage may reveal that pests are, or have been, in the area. You might find nests, footprints, feces, and evidence of gnawing if you have mice. There may also be a bad smell. The presence of roaches announces itself via cast off egg casings, shed exoskeletons, or the bodies of the insects themselves. If moths and beetles are a problem, fabrics may have holes in them from where they’ve been chewed by their larvae.
There are many ways to discourage pests, including thoroughly cleaning the area, laundering clothes, and airing spaces out. You can set traps, but be careful not to spray any pesticides in the area where you set the traps because pests will be discouraged from coming to them. If you see the signs and can’t get rid of the pests on your own, companies like Allstate Pest Control can take care of it for you, or just help you inspect your house further.Mold
People are more aware of mold recently because it’s a growing hazard following the floods caused by tropical storms and hurricanes. Mold, which is the umbrella term for about 100,000 types of fungi, does best in damp areas. However, it can grow anywhere where there’s even a small amount of moisture. Mold is not just unsightly, it can also be extremely dangerous. Some types of mold spread toxic spores in the air and others can eat through the surfaces they grow on. Besides that, many people are allergic to mold, and it’s dangerous for the very young, the very old and people with compromised immune systems in particular
The best way to get rid of mold is to clean it up as soon as you see it. For small growths, use a cloth or sponge soaked in bleach, leave it on the moldy area for 15 minutes, and rinse the area thoroughly. Get rid of the cloth or sponge to prevent the mold from spreading and use a fan to dry the area completely. Larger growths will require professional attention. If you feel sick or have difficulty breathing when around the mold, don’t attempt to clean it on your own.Water Damage
If you find water damage in the area where your holiday decorations were stored, you may have several problems. Fabrics are often a lost cause, while sturdier materials and objects can be rinsed off with clean water and air dried. It’s best to dry them indoors, because even in fall and winter the sun may cause some items to warp or split. Air out the space by opening the windows and turning on the fans. You will want to inspect the area for mold, as well as the source of the water. Water damage has great potential to cause other problems, so don’t sleep on inspecting and fixing the source of the water.
Getting out the decorations is always an exciting time of the year, but it can also be very useful. You may not look around in your storage spaces often, so this is a convenient time to do it. Hopefully, you won’t find anything wrong. But, if you do, you’ll be glad you found the problem before it got worse.