There's a saying that goes something like this: People don't leave companies, they leave managers.
And according to survey data from Comparably, a compensation, culture and careers monitoring website, a good number of workers aren't so pleased with the people leading them.
Nearly one-third of employees reported that their bosses hurt company culture, roughly 25% said that their manager didn't care about them as a person and almost 40% of employees thought that they could do their bosses' job better than they could, according to Comparably.
But never fear, employees at U.S. companies do have good things to say about their management teams. Many even like them and told Comparably so in its 2017 survey.
"Companies like Netflix, Intuit, and Enterprise Rent-a-Car are renown for the quality of their managers and their management training programs," according to Comparably CEO Jason Nazar. Increasingly, these companies are investing their time and money to recruit and train professionals on how to best lead their own teams, he said.
The following are the best companies by manager in 2017, as ranked by employees, according to Comparably.com. Large companies are organizations with 500 or more employees. Small and medium-sized companies are organizations with 499 or fewer employees.Best managers at large companies
(In alphabetical order)
1. Anthem, Indianapolis
2. Atlassian, San Francisco
3. Bazaarvoice, Austin, Texas
4. Convergys, Cincinnati
5. Cornerstone OnDemand, Santa Monica, Calif.
6. Dell, Austin, Texas
7. Dennys, Spartanburg, S.C.
8. Enterprise Rent-A-Car, St. Louis
9. Facebook, Menlo Park, Calif.
10. GE Digital, San Ramon, Calif.
11. GitHub, San Francisco
12. GoDaddy, Scottsdale, Ariz.
13. Golden Hippo Media, Woodland Hills, Calif.
14. Google, Mountain View, Calif.
15. Groupon, Chicago
16. HCA Holdings, Nashville, Tenn.
17. HubSpot, Cambridge, Mass.
18. Indeed, Austin, Texas
19. Insight Global, Atlanta
20. Intuit, Mountain View, Calif.
21. Jive Communications, Orem, Utah
22. Liberty Mutual Insurance, Boston
23. LinkedIn, Sunnyvale, Calif.
24. National Instruments, Austin, Texas
25. Netflix, Los Gatos, Calif.
26. Nvidia, Santa Clara, Calif.
27. Overstock.com, Salt Lake City
28. Pegasystems, Cambridge, Mass.
29. Pluralsight, Farmington, Utah
30. Publix Super Markets, Lakeland, Fla.
31. Quicken Loans, Detroit
32. ReachLocal, Woodland Hills, Calif.
33. SAIC, McLean, Va.
34. Salesforce, San Francisco
35. Sam's Club, Bentonville, Ark.
36. Schneider Electric, Andover, Mass.
37. SolarCity, San Mateo, Calif.
38. Sunrun, San Francisco
39. Sykes Enterprises, Tampa, Fla.
40. T-Mobile, Bellevue, Wash.
41. Tableau Software, Seattle
42. TeleTech, Englewood, Colo.
43. The Walsh Group, Chicago
44. Toys R Us, Wayne, N.J.
45. VMware, Palo Alto, Calif.
46. Wayfair, Boston
47. Wolters Kluwer, New York
48. Workfront, Lehi, Utah
49. Zillow, Seattle
50. ZipRecruiter, Santa Monica, Calif.Best managers at small and medium-sized companies
(In alphabetical order)
1. Acorns, Irvine, Calif.
2. Baker, Denver
3. BizMerlin, Vienna, Va.
4. Boostability, Lehi, Utah
5. Branch Metrics, Palo Alto, Calif.
6. Code.org, Seattle
7. Cybereason, Boston
8. EdCast, Mountain View, Calif.
9. Envoy, San Francisco
10. Faithlife, Bellingham, Wash.
11. Fueled, New York
12. Help Scout, Boston
13. HotelTonight, San Francisco
14. Lingotek, Lehi, Utah
15. NetCentrics Corporation, Herndon, Va.
16. PandaDoc, San Francisco
17. PC Pitstop, Sioux City, Iowa
18. Periscope Data, San Francisco
19. Pipedrive, New York
20. RingDNA, San Francisco
21. SiteTraker, Palo Alto, Calif.
22. SnackNation, Los Angeles
23. TripActions, Menlo Park, Calif.
24. Wave Financial, Toronto
25. Widen Enterprises, Madison, Wis.
More: Amazon, Nike, Toys R Us among the top U.S. companies for diversity
More: GoDaddy, Costco, Adobe among Comparably's best companies for women
More: Here are the top places to work by region
More: Salesforce.com's Marc Benioff No. 1 in Comparably ranking of top CEOs
Comparably’s "Best Of" lists are derived from sentiment ratings provided by employees who anonymously rated their employers on Comparably.com during the 2017 eligibility period (1/1/17– 11/17/17). There were no fees or costs associated with participating, nor was nomination required.