Former boxing champ Scott Harrison 'buzzing' as he wins bid to get back in the ring

Former boxing champ Scott Harrison 'buzzing' as he wins bid to get back in the ring

Scott Harrison is to return to the ring after obtaining a licence from the British & Irish Boxing Authority.

The announcement came just days after the two-time WBO featherweight champion threatened legal action against the British Board of Boxing Control, claming they had refused him a licence to box professionally.

Harrison said last night: “I’m absolutely buzzing to get my boxing licence back from the British & Irish Boxing Authority. The BIBA organisation have been brilliant.”

Gianluca Di Caro, CEO and executive vice-president of the British & Irish Boxing Authority, confirmed that the licence had been granted.

Former boxing champ Scott Harrison 'buzzing' as he wins bid to get back in the ring

Press Association

Scott Harrison blasts 'corrupt' British Board of Boxing Control as he vows to take legal action over refused license

He said: “Unlike the British Board of Boxing, we abide by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

“We shouldn’t be turning people down because they committed a crime.

“The licence allows Scott to fight in the UK and anywhere in the world. Promoters will be meeting this week to discuss Scott’s next fight in Glasgow.”

Harrison, 41, plans to return to the ring after serving time in prison for an assault conviction.

His first bout is expected take place in Glasgow before the end of the year.

Former boxing champ Scott Harrison 'buzzing' as he wins bid to get back in the ring

Alan Harvey/SNS Group

Scott Harrison returns to training as former world champion eyes comeback at age 41

Harrison tweeted the news to followers, posting: “Glad to announce I now have a boxing license. Thanks to BIBA and Luca Di Caro. I will fight in November in Glasgow. Details will follow soon.”

It will be Harrison’s first fight in his hometown since he defeated Joe Elfidh on points at the city’s SECC in 2012.

In a stinging attack, reported in Saturday’s Record, Harrison branded the British Board of Boxing Control “corrupt” and “hypocrites” over alleged broken promises.

He claimed they had previously told him he would be granted permission to box following his release from prison.

Harrison added: “I’ll be taking the British Board of Boxing to court.”

Harrison served three years of a four-year sentence after being found guilty of assault in a Spanish nightclub in 2012.

未经允许不得转载:国际 » Former boxing champ Scott Harrison 'buzzing' as he wins bid to get back in the ring